Wednesday, February 10, 2010

truth, power, and research on the bus

Oh Lyotard. Lately as I've been reading you on the bus I've been drifting off the page. I've been feeling stupid by your words. I've been getting distracted by the sounds of other travelers. I wonder about how useful you really are to my project. Well, in parts you are. There are pages marked over with grey pencil. But lately just a line here or there and no asterix. Until this morning, when you said:

The production of proof, which is in principle only part of an argumentation process designed to win agreement from the addressees of scientific messages, thus falls under the control of another language game, in which the goal is no longer truth, but performativity - that is, the best possible input/output equation. The State and/or company must abandon the idealist and humanist narratives of legitimation in order to justify the new goal: in the discourse of today's financial backers of research, the only credible goal is power. Scientists, technicians, and instruments are purchased not to find truth, but to augment power.

No comments:

Post a Comment